As we reflect on all our memories, it’s hard to recall ones that don’t include our families. There’s something special about looking back on family portraits over the years. Family photos are a moment saved in time that will be cherished forever. So when it comes to what to wear for family picture day make sure you plan ahead. Whether you are taking family photos for your annual photo Holiday card or looking to get an updated shot to hang above the mantle, you’ll want you and your family to look your best doing so.
There are many aspects to keep in mind when deciding what to wear for your family photos. Coordinating outfits for family photos doesn’t need to be difficult. You can never go wrong with selecting a few focal colors and textured clothing items.
Focus on accomplishing a cohesive look and dressing in outfits that will allow your photos to take on a timeless feel. Of course, the most important part of your family portrait is to document the love that your family shares!
- Plan your outfits in advance. The more time you allow yourself to plan your outfits, the less stressed you’ll be. Plus, it never hurts to have options especially when you’re dressing your kids.
- Choose coordinating colors – not matching. Knowing what colors to wear for family photos can be tricky. Start off with colors that coordinate well. You can accomplish a cohesive look without every family member wearing the exact same outfit. In fact, that can seem overly-matching. By selecting a color scheme and using hues that complement each other, you can achieve a more natural look across the board. Pick two main colors and then add softer tones to accent and complete your color scheme.
- Consider your home décor. You’ll want to consider your home décor style when picking out what to wear in family photos. Since a few of these photos will most likely be hanging in your home and on display for a long time, make sure that the clothing you select blends in seamlessly with the color scheme of your home.
- Choose practical clothing items. This is an important item to keep in mind for every family member but, especially when you are thinking about what to dress your little ones in. If your kids are not comfortable then you’re going to be in for a complicated photo shoot. Make sure that everyone is comfortable with their clothing to ensure smiles.
- Pick out accessories to add texture to your photos. Accessories are great style pieces that add to your individual outfits and can even tie family members’ outfits together.
- Limit distracting patterns and logos. Including articles of clothing with multiple patterns or logos can become a distraction. Strong prints and abstract patterns can overpower your photo. Avoid items that clash and stick to one pattern or textural element for your portrait session.
- Lay each family member’s outfit together while planning. This way you’ll have a good idea about how the pieces will look next to each other. This will allow you a better idea of what works and what doesn’t.
- Fall outfits are all about the layers: Wearing layers makes for a quick outfit change too.
- Take advantage of the colorful Fall leaves and let them inspire your outfit choices.
- Use Fall accessories to add texture to your photos. Think big scarves and stylish boots! Remember to dress members of your family in seasonally appropriate patterns and popular autumn earth tones.